Old 12-26-20, 09:52 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
His/Her terminology may be imprecise, but putting 8 and 20 minute efforts into the critical power model would be a very good way to estimate FTP.

I'm not so sure of that.

You should read more carefully (emphasis mine). https://wattmatters.blog/home/2008/0...adly-sins.html

"FTP is the highest power that a rider can maintain in a quasi-steady state without fatiguing for approximately 1 hour. When power exceeds FTP, fatigue will occur much sooner, whereas power just below FTP can be maintained considerably longer".
This guy is not asking about power modeling. He's talking about "tests" on his Wahoo Bolt.

Why are you telling me to read more carefully when you're the one quoting people that aren't Coggan?

What does Coggan actually say?

Originally Posted by Andy Coggan
Both an all-out 50 min effort and an all-out 66 min effort would provide reasonable estimates of your FTP. That is because 1) the exercise intensity-duration relationship is quite flat in that region, and 2) FTP has never been defined as the power you can maintain for 60(.000000.....) min.

When in doubt, go to the source, which is why newer definitions don't include anything about approximately an hour or any other time.

Last edited by rubiksoval; 12-26-20 at 09:58 AM.