View Single Post
Old 02-26-21, 07:35 AM
Brett A
Word.

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Orbea Oiz XCountry Bike, Specialized Roubaix, Borealis Echo Fat Bike for Winter, many others out in the barn.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 51 Posts
Did my February century the day before yesterday. It was my 14th consecutive. This time of year, when temps rarely rise above 20 degrees Fahrenheit, I don't get out on the bike much (I just don't find myself riding indoors, even though I have the equipment). But I was happy to see the cold stretch end in time to get this ride in, with a forecast in the 40's and nighttime temps not dropping below freezing.

Since I don't really ride much in Jan and Feb, (my last ride was my Jan cent, five weeks ago) I picked the flattest route I could from the house. This is always some version of up and down the Connecticut River Valley. However, there's a ridge between my house and the river that I need to climb to get back and forth to it. You'll see the elevation map is pretty much a mirror image with a flat-ish middle.

It was an enjoyable fifteen hour outing. These rides are like long road trips in the car. I pack all the food I'll need and a SteriPen to safely refill my water bottles from streams. I bring music, extra clothes, etc. I think my days of doing sub-6 hour centuries may be past and that's okay.

Northfiled, Massachusetts. Dropping down the to western bank of the Connecticut river off RT 142.

On VT30: This is the I-91 overpass over the West River just north of Brattleboro, VT. The salt spray from the road above is an interesting visual. This was mile 35 break, then the mile 70 break on the way back down.

This is what much of the ride looked like during the day. The rolling hills of north-central Massachusetts and southern VT.

Dirt road along the West River

The turnaround point was the Scott Covered Bridge in Townsend, VT. It was recently restored and is closed to cars.

.Goopy mud

.Newfane VT.

Likes For Brett A: