Old 03-02-09, 06:49 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by kroozer
Flippers drive up prices for everyone else and deny good deals to people who actually want to ride bikes and not make money off them.
I beg to differ, kroozer.

Flippers don't drive up prices, because they buy low. Competition and scarcity drives up prices. Flippers don't compete, and they don't have a lock on all the bikes out there, either. They do their homework, they do the leg work, they do the turnaround work, and add value to the product.

Flippers don't deny good deals to people who actually want to ride bikes. Most flippers I know charge a fair price, and if it doesn't sell, eventually go lower. If a person actually wants to "ride a bike and not make money," that person needs to research the bike he/she wants, do the homework, the legwork, and if they buy low, there's bound to be some turnaround work. It generally involves work.

A "roll ready" bike should cost more, and generally does.

I have bought from BF members who do not flip; they sell what they don't need or doesn't fit.
I have bought from BF members who do flip; I wanted the bike and the price was within my range.

I have flipped three bikes. All were incredibly low to buy and sold for a lot more. I put $200 in parts into one to make it as close to perfect as I could; I "profited" maybe $400. I put about 10 hours and no money into one, made $100. I put about 8 hours into the 3rd, made $55. I've since found out that all three were worth significantly more than I sold them for. Maybe they've even flipped again.

I have sold probably 15-20 others. I've either broken even over the long run, or close enough that I can convince myself I have. No one has been unhappy. I've taken a few back in on trades for others. I've made specific 100% buy-back offers on two, and both were refused. I guess I sold them too low. My bad, but my rep is sterling with those folks, and they've brought buyers by. More buyers, more riders, more fun for everyone.

The market is what it is. The main sellers who aren't making much are low volume small bike shops. If I wanted the best deal on a great bike right now, I'd probably order a new road bike from LBS, pay in advance. I'd probably get it for 15-20% over cost, because he's trying to survive. He does better if I buy the occasional tube, cable, tool, etc.