View Single Post
Old 06-29-23, 09:36 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5030 Post(s)
Liked 8,229 Times in 3,889 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
Classic, a comment from someone with zero facts. I have had clipless pedals since the 1990s, and the review by cycling coach Dylan Johnson is from someone who used them to race with professionally and who is reviewing multiple scientific papers on the subject.

It is very common for the general population to follow traditions which have no merit, much more common than it is for the general population to act with independent or critical thought. And as far as people who think outside the box, that is every great intellectual in human history, Einstein, Orwell, DaVinci, Sagan etc.. So it is both sad and hilarious to see the masses complain when confronted with facts such as cycling coach Dylan Johnson's reviews of actual research debunking their follow-the-leader non-thinking.

As usual all I do is point out facts and research anyone could discover for themselves, and because they do not like facts they attack the messenger. Another tradition like clipless pedals that have no basis in reality.
My apologies about my assumption regarding your use of clipless pedals.

You might also note that current pro racer and cycling coach, Dylan Johnson, sums up his video by saying that he does not recommend flat pedals for most serious cyclists and cycling situations, and clipless pedals are not more efficient than flat pedals "when pedaling down a flat road at a moderate pace". I completely agree that under moderate conditions, clipless pedals would not be an advantage. However, many of us ride our bikes hard, and have had enough personal experience to make a determination that clipless pedals are our preference, usually for more reasons than only the ability to apply force around a larger segment of the pedal circle, which is a factor you seem to keep ignoring.

Additionally, current pro racer and cycling coach, Dylan Johnson, uses clipless pedals when he races and trains. If you know anything about Dylan, you would know that he takes advantage of every incremental gain he can. If flat pedals were an advantage, he would be using them.

Again, one of the biggest reasons people bristle at your comments is your insults. Your repeated insistence that people who have made a determination that is contrary to yours are less intelligent, and/or are unable to make a rational decision for themselves, is ignorant and arrogant.

Last edited by Eric F; 06-29-23 at 09:58 AM.