Old 03-25-24, 08:09 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
There seems to be consensus that the ball of the foot should be over the pedal spindle, and it might be the most energy efficient position. The problem is that it can cause the kinds of injury I have, and it's permanent. I have painful bunions, and sometimes it impinges on nerves. So lately, some bike fitters recommend pedaling with the foot farther forward on the pedal. I used to see people pedaling with their arches and thinking they're uninformed and inexperienced. Now it's how I pedal, and it may be the healthiest thing, long term.
If there is a consensus, it's not because of energy efficiency but because the cleat is really easy to place below the ball of the foot. You've got not one, but two markers to guide you in cleat placement so that's what's commonly done.

In terms of energy efficiency there are now more and more ultra distance riders who use more and more rearward cleat positions with some even opting to fully midfoot cleat positions. If you have your cleat under the ball of the foot, you'll need to recruit the calf to stabilize the ankle and foot. Moving the cleat backwards reduces the need for stabilization as there's less of a lever (foot) to contend with. None of the energy you spend to stabilize the foot and ankle is used to propel you forward.
Likes For elcruxio: