Thread: Totally Tubular
View Single Post
Old 06-11-20, 10:23 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4848 Post(s)
Liked 3,980 Times in 2,584 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
A question for the group. I bought a pair of tubular rims a year or so ago, and a set of Record hubs is awaiting me in Ohio.
A couple months ago I suffered an injury to my left index finger and, just this week learned it will never again be fully functional. As in the flexor tendon waited too long to be repaired. Doctor error.
Can I consider mounting tubulars in this condition? It wouldn't be the end of the world.
TIA
Also, keep your eyes and ears open to what tires (and to a lesser extent rims) mount easiest, This isn't like clinchers where too easy and you risk blow-offs. Once the glue is set, tightness doesn't matter.

I was just thinking that you could have a slightly smaller "rim" (maybe a clincher 26" rim). cut it in half, hand the tire from the top half hung on a hook, fit the bottom half onto the bottom of th etubular, and hand a (say 15#) weight from it. Let it sit in a dark closet a few months.

Caution, the above has had all the rational thought and review that was left over in my little brain while being primarily occupied with typing. But pre-stretching tubulars has been done for probably more than the past century, Not a new or untested. concept

Ben