View Single Post
Old 04-13-20, 07:03 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Cassette jammed up with slush/ice ???

I was out for a 13-mile fatbike ride in perfect snowman snow: wet and warm. It was sticking to everything and created a problem I've never had (& I've been ride through Minneapolis winters for 10+ years): the snow/slush/ice was accumulating in my cassette making it impossible to change gears. The derailleur was working fine, it was moving without issue, the tension was good too. The only issue I can think that caused this issue was that the slush was filling up the cassette and the chain couldn't get into the teeth. I ended up single-speeding home, thankfully I was stuck in a good gear for the most part. If I tried shifting to a smaller gear, the derailleur would move, but the chain would just skip over the teeth. After getting home and washing the bike with hot water, the chain had no issues engaging the cassette.

I'm curious if anybody else has had a similar issue and if you had a solutions. After getting home, I thought of one of my grandpa's favorite solutions to issues like this: just piss on it

The pic of the cassette didn't work, but this give you an idea about the snow. This stuff only took a couple minutes to build up like this, I'd hit a bump and it's fall off, but would be built up again within a mile.