Walter Denton

Bikes: Giant Roam 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Walter,
Welcome to 50+, its always great to add to the new guys, or ladies, that are starting out once again. Do not put much stock in the proclamations about what you "must be able to do", in order to be a fit cyclist, or thought of as a cyclist. The internet experts are as common, and as irritating, here as anywhere else on the internet. We all get started, or restarted, at some point, and most of us are at a level much like yours. I was lucky to make 2 miles the first several weeks of riding, at a 10 mph avg, it it was a good day with favorable winds.

Keep at it, don't get wrapped up in speed and distance, just build up your fitness, and get in the miles. You'll be surprised at how much improvement, in your fitness, that you can achieve if you just keep at the riding, and be sensible about nutrition, also.

Just so you know, I kept at it, now its 25 miles a day, 6-7 days a week, only a 15 mph avg, but I managed my kidney disease and Parkinson's Disease. I lost 110+ lbs in just over a year, and still keep the weight off. I we the cycling a great debt for these things I accomplished, you can too. You are serious about your cycling if it is important to you and you are riding as much as you are able/want to.

Bill
Bill, thanks for the kind words of encouragement. I really have enjoyed the cycling that I have done so far and I do hope to be able to ride nearly every day, so let's hope my stamina improves. I just heard from an old college buddy who did 28 miles on his bike a couple of days ago so I guess there is hope for me.