View Single Post
Old 06-20-19, 02:35 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
The industry standard of merely quoting whole wheel weights is bogus; it's of interest only to weight weenies. Nothing wrong with that per se, but I want to know how much the damn rims weigh too.
See, this is my thing too. The bike is already 15.9 lb and saving one half pound at the rim would be significant.

Keep in mind that this is a "fixed gear road bike." It has a fixed gear drivetrain but is ridden on the road like any road bike. The rear hub will not have a freewheel but even so, track hubs and track components in general are typically not light. Anyway, I'm going to save about 1/2 pound and cost will be a little over $800.

Light Bicycle 35 mm deep carbon rims have already been ordered.

Hubs will be Mack Superlight front and rear. The 8mm bolt-on is slick. They come with an aluminum track lockring but this will be replaced with Dura Ace steel for street use

The plan is to have ProWheelBuilder.com build them with Sapim Lasers and aluminum nipples.

Weight should be sub 1400 grams with much of the weight savings at the rim for faster acceleration and easier climbing with a 48x16 gear. A slightly taller cross section wheel should give a little aero boost as well.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 06-20-19 at 02:43 PM.