View Single Post
Old 06-26-19, 08:03 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 651 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by icecarver
Was gifted a Gitane Tour De France 62cm bike. A bit big for me but I'd rather throw a saddle on a gift horse than look it in the mouth. Great bike. Used it as a trailer hauler for my special needs daughter and she loved it. End of the season the rear derailleur broke. I took it off and found there was a little coil-like spring at the hinge so it would no longer tension the chain. It is a bolt-on type derailleur. I have a derailleur from another old 10 speed. Before I go investing a bunch of time I'm wondering what are the chances the other derailleur will work on the Gitane. Or should I start scouting eBay for one just like the one that broke? As long as the mounting is the same I'm good to go right?
You may have opened a can of worms here. Can you post a photo of the rear dropout on the frame, where the derailleur was attached? That should show what kind of replacement derailleur is needed. It may be simple, or it may be somewhat less simple.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash