Old 07-04-04, 11:09 AM
Trouble
Sloth Hunter

Bikes: 03 Lemond Zurich (Sold) 07 Steelman Custom steel road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took the two; Aliante and Arione out for a head to head test over a month period. Both seats were dialed in and at the correct "level". I tried to keep everything the same. No chamois buttr, same rides-effort level, same time of day.
The Arione: As much as I tried to like the Arione it's just too hard for me and putting pressure on my perineum. I could not go more than 5 miles without experiencing discomfort and having to shift and shift and stand. The wing flex thing doesn't make sense and the so called many positions were also available on the Aliante and my legs didn't rub on either saddle. Some claim a break in period...

The Aliante: After the initial dialing in I was able to get up to 2-3cm of movement on the seat so positioning wasn't an issue weather climbing or in the drops. I never really experienced that "one riding position" some people mentioned. No rubbing or hot spots - no chaffing, comfortable over rough pavement. There were a couple of times were I realized I had not moved or felt the need to stand up for several miles.
Weight? Never an issue with me, not when it comes to comfort.

Both saddles were taken on short, hills and a 50 mile rides. Twice I parked my truck in a parking lot and did a 5 mile ride, came back and switched seats (over and over). During this comparison, when ever I switched over to the Aliante it's just felt right and comfortable and that's what I'm looking for.
On Roadbike Review 112 people rated it at a 4.63 out of 5. Many having done centuries.
I'm 6'2", 188lbs. I'm riding an 2003 Zurich.