Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
Why would cyclists in their 70s even be riding with clipless? Of course, if you race you might want maximum power and a more secure connection to the pedals when sprinting, but how many non-racing cyclists in their 70s care about such things. I'm 72 and have used platforms on all my bikes for at least ten years. They work great for me and there are no issues with clipping in or out. I use platforms that have the little suds, which supply a very secure connection with no hassle. Plus, I can move my foot position if I so desire. Of course it is a personal choice, but I would think safety is the most important consideration at my age.
IMO and IME clipless are safer. My feet are always attached to the pedals unless I don't want them to be. Thus I'm pretty much immune to losing contact with a pedal at high cadences and having it come around and hit my lower leg, especially a pedal with studs on it! Yeeesh! I'm 75. I know riders over 80 who still ride strong and use clipless. Like 150+ miles and 10,000' day rides. All the cyclists I know and ride with, regardless of age, use clipless.