Old 08-21-20, 06:36 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,931 Times in 2,556 Posts
Brooks/leather on steel saddles don't work for me. I rode the (excellent) Fuji America seat on my commuter for three years, When that bike got stolen, the bike loss was sad but I thanked the thief for taking the seat.

I loved the design of the old NR seatpost. (Never had one but raced the similar Zeus post.) Being able to dial in the tilt exactly (and change the tilt for saddle sores by a lot and 2 weeks later go back exactly). Yes. a PITA to reach those bolts but Campy made the special wrench that worked quite well. And yeah, the newer Allen key from the bottom posts are far easier but those old NRs were a Godsend compared to the drought that happened in the '80s when everything was one-bolt. (I rode a Laprade between cliicks 8 years knowing if I ever touched that bolt I would never get that position again. So to this thread, the (then) new, improved, lighter, sexier one-bolt posts.)

I don't jump on fads so a lot has come and passed that hasn't burned me. Oh, one I didn't really choose - the Chris King Grip Nut headset. Came on my custom (threaded steerer) fix gear. Very low stack. Was supposed to the second coming. Well it sort of was. Coming loose is what it did. In 200 miles, a tiny bit loose, 400 and the rattle was back. Yes, it probably was me being a hack, but other hacks include several very good mechanics and the Chris King factory. At 8000 miles I took it off and put on a Tange. Had to mix with el cheapo Tange HS parts to get the stack down and the steerer was not slotted so between minimal threads and no slot, the Tange has never seen a lock washer. Still it is less trouble than the King. Yes, Tanges are only good for ~8000 miles but for $30, who cares? Soon I will have the framebuilder trim the head tube down and slot the fork and then I will be back to threads, lock washer and heaven!

Ben