Thread: Your Favorite
View Single Post
Old 09-24-20, 02:04 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
This One Comes With a Story Attached

From the "Gentleman Cyclist" Forum:

The All-British Cycling Event; Building on the Foundation

An enthusiastic group of Nutters proved the heart and soul of English cycling continues to thrive and, in fact, grow during these difficult times. A hearty group of 10 gathered for the Friday reception and glasses were clicked well into the evening. Many compared notes of projects that were in progress or completed during the summer shutdown.

The Gentleman’s Tour on Saturday was a remote event as before and we had many tales of adventure for that day; some visited Minnehaha Falls as in years past and some stayed close to the trails along the Mississippi river. Some pre-rode the route of the Gravity Race and found it to be in fine condition for the anticipated challenge.

Sunday events started with the Cycle Jumble and all did quite well with a good balance of buyers and sellers with quality goods in abundance.

Next up was the overly-anticipated Gravity Race and Day-Old Pastry Joust. A howling south wind held most riders back so the distances were short with many not making it to the pastry line. Rest assured, all the competitors enjoyed a good doughnut. The overall winner was Gary riding a Pashley and his mark was so far beyond everyone else that we have placed him under investigation pending review.

The rest of the day was a blur of chatter, pizza, Silver Knight Ale, tails both true and otherwise and, thanks to Steve, it all concluded with enough prizes to ensure everyone went home gifted.

This odd cycling path we have chosen is indeed a difficult cross to bear but certainly not a burden and we have proven yet again the way forward is the humble, durable and dignified English bicycle.

Best along the Path,

Jon Sharratt, Shirt-Tail Organiser

My reply:

A Shift in the Wind!

Oh dear... did I forget to bribe someone?

I would call Juston Anderson (Bike Forums NOTE: Our local Sheldon Brown equivalent) as a technical expert witness in my defense, but I haven't bribed him yet either.

Suffice to say that the headwind had just turned around for a moment when I jumped on the opportunity to launch. Then, I used the Tour de France aero-descent technique of sitting on my top-tube and leaning forward over the bars. It was that awkward position that caused me to drop my donut when I streaked past the pastry joust station. I had enough momentum to make the second left turn, where I found another tailwind awaiting me, and heard the rapid footsteps of our STO as he pursued me to make the pastry-handoff! I owe you a beer, Jon, at the very least.

The tailwind carried Pepper and I (Pashley Path Racer = PPR = Pepper) past the intersection to the first driveway on the left, where we finally came to a stop. Those Sturmey-Archer drum-brake hubs run on sealed bearings, and it is to that our Mr. Anderson attributed my success, even predicting the outcome before the race. No motors, no voodoo assisted me - I give you my word as a Gentleman Cyclist and Enthusiastic Nutter. Simply a serendipitous shift in wind direction, combined with those hubs and an avant-garde riding technique allowed me to leave all the rest of you in my dust.

And on that, I rest my case.

Sincerely,
Gary

The Verdict:

Sir Gary,
Rest assured, the investigation has long since been closed and you have been cleared of any wrongdoing.
Now, about that beer...
STO

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!

Last edited by DQRider; 09-24-20 at 02:08 PM.