Old 09-17-20, 05:04 PM
otherself
Chromolly dreamcoat

Bikes: 1954 Carlton Flyer, 1958 Pennine, 1969 Carlton Catalina (Capella lugs), 1989 Faggin Aelle, 1996 Mercian Pro Lugless Reynolds 731 (time trial) 1999 Olmo Superlight Columbus Genius, 2012 Bob Jackson 631, 2022 Planet X Spitfire Ti, 2022 BXT T1000 carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
I don't know where you are getting your data but my charts show Reynolds 501 to be 320g lighter than Aelle for an uncut tubeset, which is significant. Reynolds 501 was also manufactured from a stronger CrMo alloy, while Aelle was CMn. I've always considered Columbus Matrix/Cromor to be the direct competition for Reynolds 501, as it was also seamed, butted CrMo and aimed at mid-range price levels. Aelle was already five years old by the time that Reynolds 501 had it's debut. It was closer to Reynolds 531 Plain gauge. There was butted version of Aelle, called Aelle R.

Butting may or may not be superior, depending on the relative gauges and what the designer is trying to achieve. Typically, it will be lighter and more compliant but it typically won't be a stiff. I could see some builders favouring Aelle on TT bicycles, especially if they are employing bent or aero profiled main tubes. An aero tube will not be as laterally stiff as an equivalent gauge round tube, so using a plain gauge tube with an aero profile was a method to maintain acceptable lateral stiffness.
I see. Some sources say 501 was similar weight to aelle, but It looks not to be the case from your p.o.v.

I guess for TT frames the extra frame weight isn't an issue as maximum stiffness and aerodynamics from body tuck are more important than total bike weight.