Old 07-10-19, 08:46 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
(I didn't read every post, sorry.)

I've never cleaned a chain on the bike with degreaser. I worry it'll get into the hubs or freewheel.

Some years ago, I would remove the chain -- I had Connex links, extremely easy to remove and install with no tools.

Shake in a half gallon plastic milk bottle with mineral spirits. (Then store the spirits in a glass jar. The crud settles out and it's clear again.)

Shake again with water and dish detergent. I'd still see some dirt in the water at first, then a second rinse would be clear.

Rinse well. wipe off water. I'd usually hang it by one end, drip rubbing alcohol down the chain to get the water out, and wipe dry. Then dry at least overnight, preferably with some heat. Or use a hair dryer.

Reinstall. Lube
BUT-- it was dirty again within 10 days. The lube itelf is turning black from road dust, but likely mostly from extremely fine metal particles from the chain.

~~~~~

Now:
Just wipe off the outside with paper towels dampened with rubbing alcohol
-- which dries fast. A really dirty chain? paper towels with mineral spirits.

Relube. Let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes.
Wipe off the outside with repeated dry paper towels. No need to keep lube on the outside of the chain.

It still turns black quickly. But the chain lasts just as long, 3500-4000 miles, depending.

Last edited by rm -rf; 07-10-19 at 08:51 AM.
Likes For rm -rf: