View Single Post
Old 05-08-20, 07:10 AM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts
Kinda stumbled across one earlier this year; initially thought it was going to be a flip but I fell in love. Just took it out yesterday in fact.
Untitled by Eat More Plants1, on Flickr
FWIW I have a brand-new 28t 6-speed on there (brand new chain too) and experience some similar symptoms. I have fiddled with the b-screw, the low gear stop, and I even checked the derailleur hanger alignment, can't quite figure it out. At least for the time being I'm chalking it up to one of two things: the Shimano 600 derailleur is a bit more finicky about tooth count than the conventional wisdom suggests (I had the original 600 freewheel but it was like a 24t or 25t or something, which was a tough slog on hills with a 52-42 up front), or it's simply frame flex under load that's tweaking the alignment down there. I say that because it's way more noticeable when I'm standing, trying to get up a really steep hill. Sit-and-spin sort of stuff doesn't seem to trigger it. Let us know if you figure it out!

Last edited by PugRider; 05-08-20 at 07:13 AM. Reason: gearing correction