Old 05-17-19, 02:51 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by 5teve
Well, I don't know if my experience will apply to your situation. The problem I have is that my legs burn and feel fatigued before I think they should. It feels like what used to be referred to as a build up of lactic acid in the muscle tissue, though I think current thinking on what is actually happening has changed a bit. Because of it, I had to back off on a climb or ease up from a harder pace because that burning sensation forced me to give up before I felt I'd given it all I could, before I felt my legs should really be tired. What has helped me is Sportlegs capsules. They aren't a miracle drug-they don't make me feel strong if I'm not in shape, but they help hold off the lactic acid burn sensation that I've felt was holding me back these past couple years.
I mentioned "lactic acid" as causing muscle soreness, in another thread, and someone jumped all over me for it. I think they were saying the soreness was not caused by lactic acid at all, lactic acid is in muscles only during exercise.

I had not heard about this previously, not sure if it's actual science or not, I think it's a somewhat recent discovery.

Don?t blame lactic acid for sore muscles | ScienceNordic

Ask your average amateur athlete what causes stiff muscles after a hard workout and more likely than not you’ll hear “lactic acid” as the answer.

When you train hard or at high intensity, your body has to turn to a kind of spare engine to produce enough energy. This “engine” is called anaerobic metabolism. When your body produces energy this way, your muscles can continue to work hard, but not for very long. Eventually your legs begin to tire and stiffen, and you can’t run as fast as before.

The conventional wisdom has been to blame this on lactic acid, a by-product of anaerobic metabolism. And because the amount of lactic acid tends to increase while your legs are in the process of stiffening up, people concluded that lactic acid is what makes your legs stiff and sore.

But it turns out that this is almost certainly not true.