View Single Post
Old 08-25-19, 11:10 AM
bradyweb

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV Disc Ultegra | Fuji Sportif 1.5 - 2017 | Windsor Cyclo Cross Bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ridingfool
So did the new bike improve your results
Mr. ridingfool,

I've actually purposely held off on updating this post as it took a little longer for my new Bianchi to get shipped to me. I really wanted to get at least one club ride in before trying to provide results. The last 2 weeks I just wasn't able to make it to the club rides...but I intend on getting in at least one this week. But...I do have 4 full rides under my belt on the new bike and most importantly I rode 100K this weekend in a large event here in Texas. So I will go ahead and tell you what I know up to this point...or maybe we should say I'm providing my "opinion" of what I have found so far.

YES, I am faster and more efficient on my new and higher quality bike! So to reset things; I went from a very entry level bike, a Fuji Sportif 1.5, to a Bianchi Infinito CV Disc Ultegra. So to me, this is apples and oranges. The Infinito is a far superior bike. Full carbon and a full 5 lbs lighter. Ultegra compared to Tiagra groupset.

I found on my very first ride, just solo on the same roads around my part of the city that I always ride, that I moved faster with the same effort as compared to my Fuji. My natural and comfortable riding position is more sporty and aero. I shattered PRs on segments I have ridden 50 times. I do however feel there was some adrenaline involved as well as just a mental edge. But there is no question I just feel faster and more athletic on the new bike.

Yesterday on the 100K I kept up with riders and a pace that I didn't know I had it in me. At this pace and with the other riders I'm with, we consistently flew by hundreds of riders while climbing. I'm looking down and see that I'm moving at more than 20 mph consistently while climbing and that was very rare before and almost never happened. I got dropped a couple of times due for one reason or another, like slowing to drink a pickle juice when my calf tightened up, and was able to kick it into gear and get caught up. Overall I finished the 100K with an average of 19 mph. For me, that just wouldn't have happened on the old bike and I'm 100% certain of that. I also feel like riding an equal distance on the new bike as compared to the old bike I am quite a bit less fatigued when I finish. Of course that may mean I now need to push it and work harder.

While there is no scientific study to my situation here at all, I can tell you beyond any doubt that this new and much better bike has made me appear to be a better rider while putting out the same energy as before. Now I can't prove the energy thing of course. The new bike probably gave me quite a bit of a mental edge from my previous self and I'm sure that counts for a couple of watts. I just know that whether it's on a level segment, or and maybe especially while climbing, I can move faster and with less stress and strain.

I'm eager to get to my next club ride and then of course update the results.