View Single Post
Old 10-12-19, 01:41 PM
Dannyboy21

Bikes: 1980 Marinoni Special, 1987 Ciocc Microf. C40, 1978 Raleigh Competition GS, 1982 Colnago Super, 1972 Gitane Pro TdF, 1976 Belgian Diamant by Martelly, 1989 Trek 520, 1972 Dawes Galaxy 2014 Cervelo R5, 2020 Salsa Warbird, 2013 Giant Trance X1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Dfrost
@Dannyboy21,

Marinoni’s paint is very high quality and his repaint costs are quite reasonable. I’m amazed how my ‘87’s original paint over full chrome (not the best substrate) is holding up. And many Marinoni owners here will agree that the bikes ride great.

Where are you located? (Most of us include that in the information under the avatar.) If you’re not in Canada, I can appreciate that shipping costs going back and forth across the border would really add to that cost.

As @merziac notes, the rust visible in your closeups indicates that a full strip, prime and repaint are needed to keep that frame going for a long time. The BB cable guides area is hard to really clean up with that rust, so someone that really understands older frames like this one would be valuable. Maybe @gugie or @Andy_K with the excellent powdercoaters that they use could give you some ideas who to use.

As to components, I’m always of the opinion that you should use what will make you most enjoy this beauty.
Near North Bay ON. I will have to figure all this stuff out in time. My niece attends McGill so maybe I can convince my sister to drop off in Terrebonne for me. As it seems like Marinoni repaint seems to be consensus. Hopefully they will leave those red maple leafs in place.

Last edited by Dannyboy21; 10-12-19 at 03:17 PM. Reason: spelling