Old 01-17-20, 10:24 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Back in the saddle again -- after rainy commutes in the car the last week, what a relief! A few items of note:

First, they dug up the MUP and replaced the drainage tile since I last tried it. Kudos to public works -- I really thought it would take them another 4-6 months. OK, so it's not repaved again, but I can ride over the packed-down gravel surface (it's not much worse than root-warped portions of the "paved" surface!).

Second, it was interesting watching the temperature on the Garmin. Quarter mile from home, and the unit that just came out into the cold read 60 degrees. Another quarter mile, another stop sign, and it was 55. Another mile and a half, 40. I guess it stabilized at the end of the 10 mile ride, at 36F.

Finally, in that kind of weather, what the heck was the meadowlark doing here, singing a mile from the office? We're supposed to drop below 20F early next week! I wanted to tell that bird, "While I appreciate your singing, you need to be flying south as fast as you can." But since I can't chase it 200 miles towards warmer weather, I just hope it survives the cold snap.