Thread: Dagnabit
View Single Post
Old 01-18-20, 10:05 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
I feel the same way. Like you, I have worked on bikes since I was a kid back in the early 70s. Today, I have several older bikes that I continue to ride, and I do all the work on them myself. Pressed-in BB bearings, cut steerer tubes, disc brakes, and now wireless shifting. I'm not usually afraid to work on anything...if I have the right tools. But all this new stuff requires specialized tools. And really...do all these changes make the bike that much better? Maybe...if you're racing. But for just getting out there to get in your miles, and/or for the weekend old man group ride...give me my old bikes. I have a modern CF bike that my wife gave me a few years ago with lots of components that required the newer methods. I almost never ride it because I can't do the work on it, and I don't want to take it to the LBS. Someone asked me why I like riding older bikes rather than more modern bikes. My response was "Some car enthusiasts like driving a new Lamborghini. Some like driving a nice, restored GTO SuperSport."

Dan