View Single Post
Old 07-07-14, 11:39 AM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cmh
Nice job on the 2nd place jmikami. That was a fast race on a tight course.

I was in the same race, and it was my first crit in 5 years so I was a bit nervous going in. jmikami described the course, but I'll add that it also had a fair number of potholes and a big crack across one corner where there was a crash in the final lap.

I spent the first 15 minutes or so at the back getting comfortable and watching constant attacks go and come back up front. With only 30ish riders in the field there wasn't a bad accordion effect at the back and the group was riding smoothly. After that I worked my way up front over the course of a few laps, then seeing a group of 2 up the road both from big teams, I attacked to try and bridge, but ended up bringing back the break with the pack in tow. I fell back a few spots to rest a couple laps, then went again with another attack that didn't get anywhere. After that I dropped to the back again to recover.

With about 6 laps to go I went back to the front and just before I got there the winning break of 2 went up the road - they had a known strong break rider, and represented the two biggest teams in the race. Over the next few laps they never got more than 8 or 10 seconds on the pack and with 4 to go and 3 to go riders attacked and I slotted on to the 3rd or 4th wheel for a couple laps. The attacks brought the break back a bit and deciding that I didn't like my chances in a finishing sprint (but also knowing I would not likely survive to the finish), I attacked with 2 to go hoping I could bridge. I glanced back 1/2 a lap later to make sure I had separation and had a pretty good gap so I gave it all I had but couldn't quite make it to the pair off the front. I was the last guy jmikami caught into the headwind on the last lap and safely drifted to the back of the pack and rolled in spent. I felt great and had a fun race.
good to see you racing and posting again cmh!