Old 07-15-16, 08:39 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by aubiecat
Honestly, I don't know what was happening. I put even pressure on the bearings from the start and as I started to apply torque the BB cup would get crooked. I tried it more than once and I went very slow each time. It still went wrong each time. The last time it went in wrong I wrecked the bearings getting the BB back out.
The thing that gets me is the Wheels Mfg. BB cup slid in so easy. The drive side was easy but the non-drive side was tight as ****.
Correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like your first try with the negative result differed by two variables from the successful installation that followed. Different tool AND different BB adapter. Considering how similar the purchased tool is to the homemade one, I would blame the failure on the Workswell BB adapter, not the homemade tool. Despite the fancier look of the purchased one, it is basically the same as the homemade one, just a threaded rod, some nuts and the drifts. How could the problem have been the fault of the tool if the drifts were right?

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...