Old 03-26-19, 07:28 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by bluehills3149
If you go the phone route, I suggest a dedicated phone exclusively for the bike and if you need data, pop in your sim card form your "real" phone for each ride if you need data. Forget using a big ugly case mount as you can just glue a garmin compatible mount on the back of the phone (and sand the phone first so it gets a good grip). These are under $10 on ebay and a bar mount another $5-$10. Best phone as a bike computer is Sony Xperia compact (z3, z5). Small, waterproof, good battery and even takes great photos. Next on list would be Motorola Moto E 2015. Small, very cheap, water resistant and good battery. Old iPhones are also OK but not as cheap and lack water proof. My Moto E setup cost around $50 all up and does everything the top garmins do and much more.
I second this opinion.

Could you point me to the garmin mount you are talking about? I know the "out front" garmin mounts, but I imagine you would have to glue the compatible piece to the back of the phone / case to make it fit inside of the mount? Where do you find said piece?

Thanks!