Old 05-23-19, 03:10 AM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
This thread is so much better than I expected it to be. I mostly just clicked because I was curious to read about a new silly idea of bikers all riding around with pool noodles sticking out off of their bikes. I was prepared to read the thread, role my eyes at the responses in support, typical get the brightest flashing lights you can, aim them right into drivers faces because otherwise no one will see you and you'll die, take the lane anytime you're in the street, and make sure you command the road type stuff.

I'm happy to see many people basically advocating riding with awareness, common sense, and the courtesy you expect from the other users of the road. I realize bikes are harder to see. I ride with awareness of that fact. I know I'm slower than them, so I try not to hold them up. I wouldn't want some jerk doing that to me when I'm trying to get somewhere on time and plan on being able to go a "normal" speed in my travels. I've found cars generally aren't jerks to me either. Sometimes there's an idiot, but there are ass***** everywhere. No reason to be an ass to everyone else because you've dealt with a couple ass*****. You just have to be aware of your surroundings, use common sense, and try to treat each other with common decency. Basically it's things you should in every part of life.

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
When I was shopping for a rear light for an upcoming tour, I read in a review for the Cygolite Hotshot. It produces a cone of intense red light, which automatically causes traffic to move over. I observed just that on the tour I just finished. Traffic was moving over further than necessary for no apparent reason.
I don't think they moved over for "no apparent reason." That sounds like the current U.S. trend of blindingly bright or flashing(or both...) lights. I live in a very active bike town with lots of blinkies(most not too bad) and the occasional intense, retina burning dot of light pointed at eye level. I dislike them just as much as the cars. ...Maybe a little more, because I know they're contributing to car driver's negative feelings toward cyclists.

Last edited by 3speed; 05-23-19 at 03:18 AM.