Old 07-17-19, 07:08 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
Yea, but that is still a far cry from accelerating from ~20mph on flat ground, solo, all the way to 30mph on flat ground, solo, and then continuing to hold that speed for 30 seconds. I'm not saying it can't be done, but that would be a monumental effort.

edit: gee...now that I'm really thinking about it...maybe it's not QUITE so monumental. I could probably do it at 27-28 on my cross bike. Somebody kitted out on a TT bike with skin suit, that was a bit stronger, 30mph for a minute might not be so impossible. Still - thats a pretty big effort.
That's a different workout. The levee dropoffs are all about maintaining speed as fatigue builds, then recovering and doing it again.

I'll also do something similar to what you're describing, those are great for simulating a jump to get separation or having to dig deep to bridge.

Also, drag race intervals: from a trackstand (or near enough), 15 seconds all-out, shoot for 30. No shifting, alternate big ring (53x15) and small ring (39x15). In the big ring, you're focusing on getting on top of the gear. In the small ring your focusing on turning the feet over.