Old 08-29-19, 02:43 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
Novatec and Kinetix 74mm front hub dimensions for Dahon and others

I made drawings for the Novatec A215SB and A211SB, and the Dahon / Kinetix OEM front hub for 74mm dropout width. They were cheap, so I decide to order all 3 of them to compare. I'll probably use the A215SB for the larger number of spokes and larger ball bearings.

Hubs
The A215SB is heaviest at 112g and largest, because it offers 28, 24, and 20 holes, and uses large 6000 RS cartridge bearings. I think it's only sealed on one side, because the label doesn't say "2RS", so the inner side is open. Grease will probably spill out the open side. It runs very smoothly though. But I might switch the bearings out immediately for Enduro LLB bearings to have seals on both sides. (it's actually 2RS) 6000 bearings are sometimes used on their rear hubs, but not always available at all internet stores. It runs on a 10mm axle that extends just before the outside surface of the end caps. Then it steps down to 9mm. It would be easy to modify this hub for forks with narrower dropouts, simply by trimming the axle and replacing the end caps with narrower washers. But if your dropout can only fit 9mm axles, then you'll also have to shave 1mm off the axle to form a shoulder.

One problem I have is that one bearing sits +0.15mm outside the surface of the hub body, while the other bearing sits -0.15mm inside the surface. If it's simply that one bore hole was drilled slightly offset, but the gap between the holes is still identical to the axle shoulder width, then it should be ok. But if the holes were drilled deeper than the axle shoulder width, then there will be a problem of the bearings slipping side to side while riding. I'll probably make some bearing press drifts for replacing the bearings, and also use them to see if the bearings slip if I press from one side. If they do slip, I don't think I'll use this hub. I'll also remove the bearings to measure inside the bore hole.( I removed the bearings, and it appears that the axle shoulders are around 0.40 to 0.55mm wider than the hub interior walls. I will attempt to add shims inside to reduce this to zero, or perhaps negative 0.04mm to add preload to the bearings). https://www.bikeforums.net/21099851-post11.html

The A211SB is lighter at 70g and only offers 20 holes, and uses smaller 699 2RS bearings, common on their other 100mm hubs. But the bearings were a little bit crunchy, maybe there's some particles stuck in the tracks. The bearings are flush with the surface of the hub. It runs on a 9mm axle, that steps down to 8.9mm starting from 1.5mm away from the bearings. You could modify this for a narrower fork that is limited to 9mm axles, but the small 1.5mm wide shoulder with the 0.1mm step may cause problems for your replacement "precision" washers if you drill the bore hole to 8.9mm. You'd have to either make a counterbore into your washers, shave the shoulder of the axle, or accept a loose 0.1mm tolerance. It may then be easier to modify the A215SB instead.

The Dahon Kinetix OEM original hub is the lightest at 53g. It uses R4 2RS bearings that are difficult to find in some countries because they're imperial inch size. They're also very small. The axle doesn't pass through the bearings, instead the end caps are pressed in (probably steel core). But with a 6.35mm inner diameter of the bearings and 5mm skewer running inside, you've got less than 0.5-0.6mm thickness of material that's transferring all that load from your fork. I'm surprised that the caps don't sheer off. I won't be using these Dahon OEM hubs anymore. I'll use this as a dropout spacer when I disassemble the bike and pack it into a suitcase.

End caps
The Novatec ends caps are not really precise. The silver serrated part isn't sitting exactly flush against the black main part. On the A215SB there is about a 0.05mm gap on some areas for a total variation of dropout width of 0.1mm. But it's better than the caps on the A211SB which has a gap almost completely all the way around the silver serrated part, with variations in dropout width of up to 0.2mm. I don't have a photo of this gap.

A questionable design is the large gap between the end caps and the hub body. I think they could have made a better design for the caps to reduce dust and water splash.

The gap is wider on the A211SB than the A215SB. The gap is around 0.5mm on the A215SB.

Spoke holes
The spoke holes on all 3 hubs are not drilled precisely centered to the axle. They're off by around +/- 0.2 to 0.3mm. So spokes on one side may be up to 0.6mm deeper into the nipples than the spokes on the other side of the wheel.

Bearings
6000 RS= 26 x 10 x 8mm with 4.762mm balls x 7 balls (not available everywhere) (same ball size as 3/16" loose balls for Shimano front hubs)
699 2RS= 20 x 9 x 6mm with 3.175mm balls x 8 balls
R4 2RS= 1/4 x 5/8 x 0.196" (6.35 x 15.875 x 4.978mm) with 2.38mm diameter balls x 8 balls (very difficult to find)
https://www.astbearings.com/catalog....ct&id=6000-2RS
https://www.astbearings.com/catalog....ct&id=699H-2RS
https://www.astbearings.com/catalog....duct&id=R4-2RS

Last edited by tomtomtom123; 08-30-19 at 06:26 PM.