Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked 1,940 Times in 1,385 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
GCN had a very informative segment regarding cycling and heart health.

https://youtu.be/L-ODB9zIywM
Good presentation. I have left bundle branch blockage found during a recent EKG and high calcium as discussed in the video, but a healthy heart. I have several older cycling buddies who've had Afib and either retired from hard cycling or just backed it off a bit or had it fixed and kept riding hard.

The 57 "low heart rate" quoted in the video isn't really low. Fully rested, mine's 44 and even when tired it's under 57. Some friends are as low as 35-40 and otherwise completely normal except for their exercise fetish. The important thing is does your heart respond normally to training: does HR go up when pushed, and does it go down when easing off? Do you feel OK when it goes up or down? Is your resting HR higher after a couple hard training days and conversely is it lower after a couple resting days?

The video is of course from the UK, so issues discussed there are covered by the National Health Service, which may be a little more liberal than here, I don't know. In the US, a complete heart exam isn't covered by insurance except in the case of a bad diagnosis from a simple exam. An EKG is inexpensive and might be covered if the rider reports weird sensations which might be caused by heart issues. EKG abnormalities will generate a referral to a cardiologist, normally covered. Otherwise we just wait for something to go wrong and then get covered . . .too late.