Old 08-29-19, 04:42 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Sometimes I see a cyclist going up or down the street near my kid's HS, during "drop off hours." I just shake my head. I would never ride a bicycle on that street during drop off or pick up times. Nothing like 2,200 kids coming out at the same time, mostly one to a car, and parents driving like they don't care about a single thing aside from picking up their progeny and departing with only the greatest haste. How bad is it? There are two police cruisers on the street every single day. The school is a scant 4 miles away, and it's not unusual for the round trip to take me 25+ minutes.

Matter of fact, I won't ride any of the connecting streets near the school within an hour of the bell, morning or afternoon. I've watched people drive half on the shoulder to get a little closer a little faster. And there's zero chance of going on foot, in spite of the short distance. There's no shoulder on the road, it's an undivided 2-lane with a posted 50mph speed limit, which no one obeys. Also, gravel trucks, and it's 102º outside.