Old 09-04-19, 01:04 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
One aspect of the low countries is that they aren't nearly as chauvinistic as, for example, the French and the Italians. (Not an opinion, merely an observation.) Also, and maybe as a result, they didn't have much of a local bike parts industry, even though they are true cycling countries.

Many Belgian and Dutch bikes from that era came with an eclectic and international mix of parts. Swiss, French and Japanese parts would be happily mounted together on the same bike in the factory, with function, availability and price point being the main considerations. The Belgians (Flandria) were also the first Europeans to pick up on Shimano's potential, closely followed by the Dutch (Koga-Miyata).

Gazelle spec'ed one of their Champion Mondial versions in the seventies with parts from Reynolds (frame tubes), MKS (pedals), Gian Robert (hubs), Arius (saddle), SunTour (derailleurs), Weinmann (brakes), Sakae (seatpost), T.T.T (bars), Sugino (crankset) and Super Champion (rims).

I wouldn't worry too much about what's "right".
I'm with you on this and this is often how I build my bikes. Just pointing that the parts that came on my bike couldn't possibly be original as they came from different eras and mixed campy and suntour derailleurs. I'm not sure that the Belgians or the Dutch were quite that eclectic!