Old 09-09-19, 09:40 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I have not seen anyone mention gearing, but I would suggest having a 1:1 gear for recovery and super-steep stuff. That means if you have a 34 chainring up front, you also have a 34 in the back. A 1:1 gear will allow you to go approximately walking speed up a very steep climb. Very handy for catching your breath. If you need a gear lower than that, you'd probably be better off walking. It might seem like overkill, but if you do any climbs over 10% it will come in very handy.

Another thing I have learned is how to recover on a climb. It does no good to keep struggling to keep up with a group that's climbing too fast, if you keep trying, you'll just explode and maybe have to quit for the day. That which is unsustainable must eventually stop. It's better to back off your effort to a level that's sustainable and catch your breath. Then try to catch up on the descent.

For getting stronger, there's nothing like "just" an hour a week of high intensity, gasping-for-breath effort (combined with good food and rest). Just ask Race Across America champ Lon Haldeman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FfA6VM7iT4
Okay, 90% of max HR, 60 minutes over the course of the week, broken into 5 minute sections.

#1 - So, how does anyone truly know their max HR? The highest I've ever achieved on a bike is 172, which leaves me highly winded and unable to talk. Is that my max or 90% of my max?
#2 - What exactly does this technique accomplish: the ability to climb a hill faster, or the ability to maintain long-distance endurance after climbing faster (my priority).
#3 - For a normal, healthy cyclist, is pushing to 90% safe?