Old 10-19-19, 09:25 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelsmcgee
Just noticed BD has the 853 whipshots back in stock (or perhaps preorder). Two builds:

Force 1x hydro in midnight purple

GRX800 2x hydro in green or burnt orange...for some reason they call this a “mulekick 853” (geesh, who comes up with these names!) but it appears to be the whipshot frameset.

Both $1799. Really tempted by the GRX 2x...I really like that burnt orange, which i have on another BD bike. My only reservation is that tire clearance, would really like something that can do 700x40 plus mud. I did notice that the GRX build now comes with gravelking 38s. Still, at $1799 I’m not sure you’d be too bad off selling the frameset and moving the parts to a different one.
They even have the Aluminum whipshot in a 1x ST-RX600 build.
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...oadbike-xx.htm

they claim the Aluminum version has room for a 700x45. Not that I care on clearance, because I'd probably be running a GK slick 38c, or a Barlow Pass. But at the same time a 700x 42 resolute might be fun for some of the stuff that I have been running my 29er hardtail on.
If the Kinesis made frame is anything like my Dawes sst AL. then I am all for the Aluminum frame version. Especially at $1200 with the only weakness being the WTB wheelset. Actually It could probably replace my SS bike. which is more less my foul weaather winter beater but so limited to 25c. :'(

I've been looking at the aluminum Giant revolt for a winter beater. However I am not so sure I want the trail on the Revolt on slick roads and washing out. and at $1000 I don't want the Giant Conduct brakes. I do want the mid fork lug. The Giant also needs a new crankset because I want a 170 crankarm.

So other than giving up a Midfork lug, and then having to deal with a 15x100 rather than 12x100. the Aluminum Whipshot 1x GRX makes more sense for a winter beater. But I am not fully sold yet. Oh I suppose a non propitiatory seat post is a selling point. but the Giant d-fuse carbon sL is only $158 which is on par with a few other higher end 27.2 seat post options.

Wolftooth even has GRX 1 chainrings now also. 38 - 40 - 42 - 44 - 46 make me wonder if the 46 will clear the chain stay on the whipshot frame.