Thread: Getting Soft
View Single Post
Old 04-16-20, 08:38 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I think, as we get older, we need to readjust our expectations away from external benchmarks and refocus on more intrinsic goals. At 56 I am more active now than I was in my 40's but there is also the reality that a 56 YO body will not have the recovery of a 20 or 30YO (how I still see myself internally). These days I focus on maintaining a regular routine of fitness, selecting physical challenges that appeal to me, and really work on diet and stress free lifestyle.

For example, one may think not being in the top third finish of a 1000km event may seem bad in comparison to earlier efforts but you are probably in the top 10% of your age bracket of people who could even complete one. If one remains focused on working to remain active in those activities, though not necessarily as competitive, this fitness within your age bracket will only increase as you age. Like a brevet, I am aiming at the long game in terms of ability. The key is to overcome the psychological pitfalls that creep in to say you are getting too old to be doing XYZ. Looking at past performance and feeling bad that you can't repeat them is one such mental trap.

Laird Hamilton (older big wave surfer) said a neat thing in an interview. Basically, it's not so much the body that gets old but the mind. It says "I'm too old for this" and then the body accepts and follows suit. Conversely, you can think the opposite but have to be skillful in adapting to the way the older body reacts to effort; mainly longer recovery time and a greater need to focus on diet, rest, stress.

Also, the most destructive thing for maintaining athletic performance is thinking we somehow now deserve comfort. Whenever I talk to others about activity the chief complaint and de motivator is the fear/rejection of discomfort. However, you can't go big without it. My philosophy is: there will be plenty of time to rest when I'm dead.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 04-16-20 at 08:44 AM.
Likes For Happy Feet: