Old 04-16-20, 09:17 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 928 Times in 541 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I think, as we get older, we need to readjust our expectations away from external benchmarks and refocus on more intrinsic goals. At 56 I am more active now than I was in my 40's but there is also the reality that a 56 YO body will not have the recovery of a 20 or 30YO (how I still see myself internally). These days I focus on maintaining a regular routine of fitness, selecting physical challenges that appeal to me, and really work on diet and stress free lifestyle.
Exactly. If I could do all the things the same way I did when I was 25, I'd still be 25. There's just no way that will happen now at 65. That's a 40 year difference. Try and show me something that hasn't lost something over 40 years. I remember training for my first Century at 25. I still live near those places and could recreate those rides if I wanted. Sure I want to, but they would kill me. I have a whole new set of goals and expectations and I'm perfectly fine with that.

If we all got faster and stronger as we aged you'd see a lot more 65 year old guys on the Olympic podium. Be happy with where you are and get out and ride.