View Single Post
Old 04-18-20, 08:04 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Thanks everyone for the useful posts. I went out tonight for an easy spin to follow up last night's attempt at intervals, and it was quite enjoyable. I guess I'll back off the expectations a bit but keep up with some structured training.
I think the key thing is to be skillful about it. Remaining (relatively) competitive is possible as we age but requires a degree more dedication and calculation/scheduling. Recovery from fatigue and injury just takes longer.

What makes for a good older athlete is the continued internal drive required to work with those limitations and move forward. Others bump up against them and assume it means their time has come and gone, and stop. Or.. they mainly engage in sport for external rewards and when those decrease they are no longer as motivated.

I've always thought that being athletic doesn't require any particular base skill other than the ability to endure discomfort and fatigue. DOMS, heat/cold, exertion, boredom, bonks... some meet those experiences and quit to seek comfort. Others work through them and continue to develop. As we age you now add longer recovery intervals to the mix.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 04-18-20 at 08:08 AM.