Old 07-16-20, 10:56 AM
twocicle
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by mtseymour
I'm thinking about using the latest Ultegra R8070 shifters with the XT M8120 calipers. Will the shifters and calipers both use the BH90 hose?
Originally Posted by mtseymour
I'm thinking about using the latest Ultegra R8070 shifters with the XT M8120 calipers. Will the shifters and calipers both use the BH90 hose?
Yes, the BH90 is now used for the current the road (ultegra & dura ace) and mtb (xtr, xt, saint) hydro brakes. Jagwire has a "Pro" hose kit that works ok on the mtb rear hose run, but it is still a bit more mushy than the BH90. With the road levers, the best firmness with decent modulation is to use BH90.

The 2 piston r785 calipers work fine on our road tandem at a loaded team weight of maybe 280lbs. For our mtb tandem where we ride quite steep technical terrain, definitely that needs the 4 piston M8120 calipers along with the H03C metallic pads which don't fade or burn out as fast as the resin/organic pads. I would definitely use the 4 piston calipers for heavy use.

The big "gotcha" with the rear calipers is when they require a banjo fitting. Shimano only has this fitting factory installed on hoses up to maybe 2000mm which is just a touch too short for our tandems. The Jagwire Pro kit mentioned above does have a banjo fitting which is one reason why we use it on our mtb tandem. A new solution to this issue is to get a hose coupler to join a standard rear Shimano BH90 hose (w/banjo factory installed) to a supplemental length of hose running to your levers. Otherwise, more recently there are a few after-market banjo fittings becoming available, mostly from China and posted on eBay. Amazon is also showing some postings but limited availability.

Here is a view of the coupler :

Last edited by twocicle; 07-16-20 at 11:03 AM.