View Single Post
Old 12-26-20, 04:18 AM
mr_pedro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Oddly enough it was like that by social convention in the neighborhood where I grew up. It was a suburb of Detroit, and there was car traffic in the streets, but kids played in the streets too. We played street hockey and all sorts of games. When a car was coming, someone yelled "car" and we cleared out of the street. We all rode bikes, probably not very well behaved. But the drivers were careful.

Today, same neighborhood, there are a lot more cars, and more traffic. So the streets are parked up with cars, and they're big cars -- SUV's and pickup trucks. And no kids playing in the streets. A difference between then and now is simply a lot more traffic. Not just cars, but more delivery and service vehicles as well.

In the town where I live, there's a street along my commute where the residents appear to have reclaimed their street. A sequence of maybe 4 or 5 houses all have kids, they put up some signs asking cars to slow down, and the kids are out playing. Usually, among those houses, there are one or two adults out, or at least keeping an eye on things. And it seems to be respected by the drivers and cyclists like myself.
We have experienced the same increase in traffic sinds the 50s, it does require city planning to achieve this. For example when I drive home, the largest part of the journey is on the highway and looks like this.

Then, the last 10 minutes before I get home, there is a major road, with no bikes allowed and separate bike path: link.

Then we start getting into the residential areas, but it is still a road that has traffic needing to go further than just this block: link. Narrow street, cobble stones, no separate bike lane. Speed limit is 15 mph, but streets are so narrow that cars can't really drive faster.

Then, for residential areas with only local traffic to that block, we sometimes see the one-road approach I mentioned above: link