Old 03-26-13, 04:36 PM
Howard
Chip seal rocks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by photogravity
No problem Howard. I'm glad to help out... BTW, I'm pretty sure that the Hercules B Type was introduced in 1952 and for two reasons. My Hercules Lion has an A Type 1 hub (1951) but I have another bike with a B Type 2 hub. According to a friend they didn't introduce the B Type until 1953, but as I was perusing a delivery of CTC Gazettes that were dropped on my doorstep today, one of the early 1952 editions makes mention of the B Type hub, thereby indicating the existence of that hub prior to the 1953. It's information only a Hercules enthusiast would know and certainly not information most people would care about.
At the risk of going slightly off topic ...
Do we know of Hercules that used SW hubs, or did they continue with the license built AW during 57-58?

Also, I'm a little curious about the evolution of the headbadge. I have a Nottingham Hercules (66 on the hub) with the slightly shield or wedge shaped head badge. I'd always presumed those were post-Raleigh badges, but I've seen some from the fifties that were that style instead of the superimposed H and C.