Old 11-16-18, 01:00 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts

Weather: Average temp 36F; range 32-43; S wind ~10 MPH (shifting to ~5MPH while I turned to head north of course )

Ride: Road ride, about 70% rural; two substantial hills and some rollers; 63.2 miles; slow (due to wind); sunshine changing to darkness

Clothing:
  • Mostly the usual: Ibex Woolies 1, short sleeve jersey, Mammut ultimate hoody; DHB Aeron thermal tights; thick merino socks, road shoes, neoprene covers.
  • This time, I wore my summer helmet (Smith Overtake) with an ear band and a thin merino balaclava; Tifosi cycling glasses.
  • The really pleasant surprise was that the handyman gloves did really, really well: warm hands, and no issues with hand pain or numbness (this is the longest ride I've done with these particular gloves.)
How it went: Got slightly toasty during the heat of the day (low 40s F), but that was solved quickly by venting and a descent. Got a tad bit chilly around sunset, but then my body seemed to kick into overdrive and I was nice and toasty when I got home.

Hydration was easy (not cold enough for frozen water), but I probably could have used some fuel. Despite going fairly slow, this ride seemed to be a bit more effort than a ride of similar length in ideal to warm weather. Another five miles without nutrition probably would have been bonk territory.

I don't know that they make this style anymore, but here are my awesome handyman gloves. They are Ansell Projex gloves with 40g Thinsulate. Pic taken from Menards stock photo: