Old 06-04-19, 06:58 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadKill
Do car drivers hate you enough that you have had to take evasive action from cars chasing you into parking lots and such? It just seems that you've put a lot of thought in to this.
I've thought about places to bail when a driver comes up from behind and is not paying attention, but I've never even considered somebody intent on chasing me down even after I turn down some side road or in to a parking lot.
I've thought about drivers getting out at the stop light and trying to fight me in the street, but even that I'm sure I could just ride away faster than they could run after me. Or worst case I could pick up my bike and beat the hell out of them with it.
It's not just drivers who want to hurt you. It's also drivers who are paying more attention to their phone than to the road you have to watch out for.

You should always know where you can bail out and be completely protected from the car.

It's better to know where that bail out option is in advance than to try and find out in a half second as a car is veering across the center into your lane.

This is just how my mind works. Where is a defensive position? I look for it everywhere I go. On a bike, in a car, walking, going into a restaurant. I see where escape routes are. I see where defensive positions are. I see where threats could come from and which direction I should be most alert towards. Marine Corps...years of urban warfare training. It was drilled into my head. I can't turn it off.