Old 06-04-19, 11:00 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
If I was a new cyclist or someone considering cycling for the first time, I think I'd turn-tail & run after reading this thread. Sheesh!

I don't know what kind of war zones of hostility ya'll ride in, but Seattle has the some of the worst traffic in the world & I can count the number of angry driver conflicts on 1 hand over the last 4 or 5 years or so.

Really, urban cycling is safe. It's the country farm roads and "anti-city-boy on our turf" animosity among the farm truck crowd that actually gives me pause for actual intent to harm.

For the most part, drivers just do dumb things & are in too much of a hurry for situational awareness to fully inform their decisions.

Op: I'm sorry this thread has turned into the insecurity danger-fest it has. Just ride smart & competent with attention commanding lights...That's all you need to bring with you.
Well that isn't universal

Around me riding in the city is basically a suicide mission

Out in the surrounding countryside it's much more common and safe

It makes a BIG difference is cycling is popular in the area. Here it's not. So in the city it's not something drivers are looking out for. Out on the country roads with wide open views you see cyclists from a distance and people drive accordingly.