Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by annabanananana
Thanks fietsbob, I love your old washed out saddle bag (random I know but it reminds me of a handlebar one I've lost long ago ... )

Your answer is gold. About the rad therapist, roughly it's about making sure that certain muscles group don't overtake other muscles which could eventually create unbalance. I have been immobilised in a quite strange position for month, a resulting in my upper back muscles being completely melted but the lower back and hips muscles being overworked, so we're working on that.
For the position I should also state I'm wearing some sort of corset most days, so I can't go too wrong and I don't spend days on end on my bike currently anyway. Regardless, I'm (maybe irrealistically) aiming for a perfect recovery (and ideally back to climbing in a year or two).
She's not a bike fitter though, works with athlete in general but nothing bike specific. Where is your guy? I'm still in a lot of pain and I don't ever see myself using any other mode of transportation than a bike, so if he can help out in anyway I'd sure like to know.

And you are right, my therapist wants me to use as little shoulder as possible for now, so maybe not this classic road position (although I get always back to it because it's so tiring and inefficient to cruise like a dutch in a city as hilly as mine). The straight back is okay regarding little bumps, because anyway since it hurts so bad I'm out of the saddle any time the pavement is less than perfect (which fortunately isn't often in Switzerland).

Hope that explains it. I trust this therapist. And again, your answer is gold (and very pink as well... loving that lycra warrior outfit). You are right, I'll get someone to fit a new uncut fork for me for once. I'm too scared to charge with the stem riser I've installed anyway.
The local revered fitter in Seattle, WA is Eric Moen of Corpore Sano. He's internationally licensed to assess and class para-Olympic riders.

To reduce shoulder loading, always bend your elbows 15° or so. If the weight on your hands seems too great, reduce it by moving your saddle back until you can lift your hands from the bars while riding without sliding forward on your saddle. Like in the photo, have your upper arms form ~90° angle with your straight torso. That will produce enough reach that your elbows will be about at or slightly in front of your knees if you dropped down to make your forearms horizontal. Enough reach also reduces shoulder shock loading because your arms are hinged and out in front of you so that they flex and serve as shock absorbers. You hold your torso steady with your core rather than supporting it with your arms.

We were 13-0 in our first match! I love to see all the young women climbing now, skiing, all that stuff. Cycling, not so much yet, but I think it's coming. A new female rider came out with us this past Sunday. She's a VP in some big financial management firm and strong as hell, stronger than her boyfriend. It's a new world.