View Single Post
Old 06-16-19, 07:21 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4258 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,809 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert A
Can you elaborate on how the LB's compare to the Ardennes? Also, which config of LB do you have? The Ardennes is one of the sets I've been considering.
The Ardennes are a little older - about 5 years old, with the 23 mm rim width (17 mm inner width) and not the newer "Plus" variety. The LB are the Falcon 55 mm deep, 25 mm wide rims with DTSwiss 240 hubs and Sapim spokes.

The main difference simply is that the LB's are faster and more aero. I can't quantify this for you from personal measurement, but the"aero" feel of the deep section wheels is very noticeable. The ride is a little cushier b/c the tires sit a little wider, though that difference depends on tire choice and, other things being equal, would be a little less if you were buying the Ardennes Plus.

Braking, handling, and performance in cross winds are quite different. the handling is just an adjustment in "feel", both wheelsets handle fine. For the braking and cross winds - well, see lots of discussions. Also, there is a definite "sound" to the carbon wheels, particularly at high speeds, but not so pronounced that it bothers me.

I haven't done any serious climbing with the new wheels as yet. I think they are a tad lighter than my HEDs.