Old 01-13-20, 09:52 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by ndrose
I’ve been looking at this connection also. What about turning right onto Tutt Lane (before the split, so you’d only be on 15 very briefly, less than a mile). That takes you to an “equestrian center”/museum called “Morven Park”. Their website says the grounds are open to the public. From there you can get to Fairview/Catoctin, which looks pretty quiet and also has a side bike path, which takes you right down to the WOD.
Yeah, going around the back of the horse place seems an option (too bad they can't move the fence back 15 feet and put in a path along the edge of the meadow, even behind the screening trees).

The more I look at it though, rather than try to push through the no shoulder stretch of bus 15 beside the guard rail, it looks like crossing over just before the split to the northbound side of car 15 would yield a shoulder to walk against traffic for just under a mile, and then there's a side street that intersects the path at the school.

But really if I do it I'll be spending the night in Leesburg so picking a hotel with a shuttle willing to pick up at the ferry beats navigating that in the evening.

Trying to actually cover it myself would be more in the realm of trying to do a same-day round trip... but since I can't get to DC early enough to start that anyway, I might as well pay for the night in Leesburg.

Last edited by UniChris; 01-13-20 at 09:56 PM.