View Single Post
Old 01-20-20, 07:30 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3369 Post(s)
Liked 3,672 Times in 1,251 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I know this is C&V and I typically outfit my bikes with 7-speed, but I think it would be nice to have closer spacing on the top half of the cassette in this case. A 12-27T (10-speed) would be even nicer in that regard if you can live with one less tooth on the big cog.
1t wouldn't be too bad to drop. I run a 46/30 in the front and that has been good enough to get me over all the hills I've found so far

I think I would like the close spacing, but I know that I don't shift as much when I have downtubes as I do Ergos, so maybe I would only go to 8 speeds on the back. Reasonably close spacing, but also dirt cheap chains and cassettes!

Originally Posted by scarlson
Although you could make it work with Ergopower, it would be a lot easier to rinko with friction shifters. If you are at all interested in rinko as a thing to do with your bike, that is.

Rinko aside, the downtube setup is more robust and gives you more gears. I don't see the downside, personally, but I am a friction shifting die-hard. Have you thought about bar-end shifters as a halfway-house between Ergo and downtubes? Simplex made some retrofriction ones (hard but not impossible to find), the Rivendell/Dia Compe Silver shifter is fine, and even the old Suntour barcons work fine for me for 9 speeds.
No need or plans for rinko at this time. I've got a truck with a full size bed and unfortunately no good public transportation options so there's really no need. Agreed with the robustness and simplicity, though.

I do have a set of Suntour barcons on another bike that might be used at some point on this one. I've run them before and liked them, although they weren't my absolute favorite.

Originally Posted by belacqua
I voted Sachs because they are a positive pleasure to use.
Oh don't I know it! I wouldn't be thinking of switching if I didn't know how lovely they are

Originally Posted by bikemig
I set up my long distance machines 3 x 7 but there's a lot to be said for the closer spacing you get with more gears in the rear.
I've run a triple before in the past, but found myself only in the middle and small rings. So I switched to a 46/30 double setup. I haven't felt myself wanting closer spacing necessarily, but if it's available I'll take it!