Old 08-31-20, 11:31 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Get the Kool Stop bead jack. The first time you use it you'll know it was $12-$15 well spent.

I'd have been walking the final five miles home Saturday, or sitting there slowly turning into a skeleton, if I hadn't brought my Kool Stop bead jack. The temperature had peaked close to 110F and I was finishing a 50 mile ride, totally exhausted, and quickly running out of water due to being delayed by punctures.

I'd switched to Continental Ultra Sport II, which are notoriously tight fitting tires, but, for me so far, reliable and rarely puncture. Until Saturday. I had two punctures in the final five miles home. Broken glass hiding in fresh chipseal, down the road from a couple of stripper bars -- worst stretch of road on my usual route. Impossible to see because the fresh chipseal glittered like glass in sunlight. Cut right through the tread. It would have been impossible to seat those tires without a bead jack.

Or switch to tires that don't need a bead jack.

I'm switching my road bikes back to Continental Grand Prix Classic skinwalls. Really nice tires for the money and I don't need gorilla hands to remove them or a bead jack to seat them. They cost about twice as much as the Ultra Sport, around $30-$35 each vs $15-$20 each for Ultra Sport II, and worth it for the reduced hassle.

I'll save the Ultra Sport II for the trainer. They're incredibly durable on my Cycleops trainer, so I don't need special trainer tires. And I can ride them outdoors if I want to. As long as I remember to shove the bead jack in my pocket.

The only other tires I've used that practically demanded a bead jack was the original Schwalbe One V-Guard, the 2014 or so version before they switched to the tubeless design. It *could* be seated with just my hands and maybe a plastic tire lever, but it was difficult and risked a pinch puncture.