View Single Post
Old 05-23-09, 07:43 AM
xtree

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Raleigh M50 Upgrades

I have an 1999 Raleigh M50 7 spd, with Shimano Altus components. I used to trail ride approx 50 mi/week. About 5 years ago I had an an accident with a table saw and lost a good part of a digit, work got busy, and family activities seemed to get in the way of rides. I recently re-connected with a friend and we started to ride again 2 days a week. The last ride we went on my rear derailer self destructed, which started me on an upgrade path.

I purchased a Shimano Alivio RD-M410 rear derailer, a new rear derailer mount, new shift cables and a Shimano HG-50 7/8 speed chain. Since I have some time on my hand and the bike is out of operation I started to read and learn about bottom brackets, front derailers, cranks and chainrings.

I have front shifting issues going from middle to granny gear. My chainrings are showing wear with the middle ring missing 3-4 teeth, and the inner 1-2. The Altus front derailer is a e-type, the crank uses welded chainrings and the bottom bracket is 68x116 square shaft.

After doing some googling I came up with these front components and was hoping I could get some comments if they seem like a good fit and more importantly will they work.

SHIMANO DEORE FC-M540 CRANKSET 170mm 44, 32, 22
SHIMANO BB-ES25 BOTTOM BRACKET 68 X 113MM
SHIMANO LX FD-M580 FRONT DERAILLEUR top pull