View Single Post
Old 07-05-20, 06:31 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,067 Times in 1,082 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
Yes, just a few hours ago I almost collided with a deer. I was on routes where I know the roads very well so I know where the deer tend to be. Not nearly as lonely as the route you cruised at night. Skunks and rattlesnakes is my biggest fear. It was great to get out of the hot sun and the old boring route is like new at night it feels like a completely different route. I haven’t cycled at night very much so this is new and keeping the sport fresh.
I came across one rattler sunning himself on the shoulder in the early morning sunlight. I just swung out into the empty highway and gave him the shoulder. Big fat dude. One snake avoidance tactic I did use, when stopping to take a leak at night, was to just stick to the middle of the blacktop. I could see/hear a car from a mile away, so that wasn't a concern.

The locals told me they'd be most concerned about feral dogs, but TBH the locals were home in bed at 2am, not on the road to Sonora.