IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5 | Trek Farley 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would it replace your mountain bike?

This is the thought that is bouncing around in my head but I fully admit I have OCD and shopping issues; I am dead serious on this.

On top of that I am very impulsive and will throw money away just to get the urges to stop. But this time I am trying to be really logical about it so please read the entire thing before you chime in.

I had for years the same bike but hardly used a Specialized Hardtail that I purchased when married and kept for the years after the divorce. Then one day I asked my fiance if she wanted to go for a bike ride; well that spiraled down to her and I shopping and me on impulse buying a Specialized Hybrid and a Trek Fuel EX5 and keep in mind I actually wanted a fat bike but basically let myself be talked out of it; why? It really doesn't matter.

So anyway that was two years ago. Since then I found I like both things from paths that are paved or gravel and days to venture in the woods with a mountain bike for things like rocks don't go over well with a hybrid.

Now jumping to the present time, I got tired how heavy and hard it is to ride that hybrid. Yeah it's easier to build speed and go fast versus the mountain bike but still get passed by road and gravel bikes. Well since I am not a road bike kind of guy I just, well actually my fiance bought me the Trek Checkpoint ALR5 which is on back-order with an eta of September at the earliest.

So in the meantime using what I have but the itch for the fat bike is growing and growing and getting harder to ignore. So if I let myself do it the two I will consider is:
Surly Ice Cream Truck
or
Trek Farley 5

So I ask you:
1. Should I proceed knowing all of this?
2. Whether yes or not which would you choose and why?
3. Big question would this be a replacement to your mountain bike or you would keep both?

Note I am leaning towards the Trek due to me liking them and the company, plus it's a lot lighter than the Surly.